In my research for building this it seems these kind of personal wikis go by a number of names (although these aren't all exactly the same thing):
- Digital Garden
- Personal Wiki
- Personal Knowledge Management
- Second Brain
- Zettelkasten a method of note-taking and personal knowledge management used in research and study
I'm not a fan of the "digital garden" metaphor ("plant thought seeds, etc"). If I had to come up with a name I'd be calling it a "brain dump" so don't leave naming things to me.
What I Hope to Achieve #
I've always been someone who likes to archive things (not to the extent of Jason Scott, yet) and be able to reference them at a later date. I never had anywhere good to store snippets of code, or a quote I like, or a list of products I recommend. I also plan to go through a 10 year archive of Instapaper links to build out this site, because I know for a fact there's a lot of good stuff in there.
Potential Issues #
Link Rot #
Link rot is a problem for a lot of sites. I've even hit dead links browsing /r/digitalgardens and most of those links are less than 12 months old. I plan to come up with something to handle this during the build step.
I even came across an article in my Instapaper archive titled "The spread of link rot". The link was dead.
Organising Topics #
- Should Mac apps that are developer tools go in the development section?
- What about links that cover multiple things?
- Updating and managing the site. I plan to build a CLI/Alfred workflow to help, but what about on iOS?
I want to make sure the URLs stay the same forever, which means I need to consider carefully when adding new pages that the page will make sense. Cool URIs don't change.
- A Brief History & Ethos of the Digital Garden
- Digital Gardens
- KasperZutterman/Second-Brain: A curated list of awesome Public Zettelkastens 🗄️ / Second Brains 🧠 / Digital Gardens 🌱
- GitJournal/GitJournal: Mobile first Note Taking integrated with Git
- binyamin/eleventy-garden: A starter site for building a mind garden with eleventy
- My homemade wiki - All this
- Scripts for my homemade wiki - All this
- 5 No Code Digital Gardens
- maximevaillancourt/digital-garden-jekyll-template: Start your own digital garden using this Jekyll template 🌱