Alfred, at it's core, is a launcher for MacOS but has a huge number of other features that make it impossible for me to work without it.
Alfred has a theming system (you can even switch themes for light and dark mode). I tend to use themes other people have made instead of making my own. My current favourite is Tempo Alternative.
Chris Messina has the best themes.
I've made a number of my own workflows.
Using workflows requires the Alfred Powerpack.
Clipboard History #
If you've never used a clipboard manager before, you're missing out. Alfred can keep clipboard history for up to three months which has saved me more times than I care to count.
Snippets is like a light version of Text Expander. I have snippets setup for my email addresses, phone numbers, as well as common phrases I tend to type a lot.
;emexpands to my email address
;tmit switches out to
™. Very useful for Good Twitter Jokes™
;ebayexpands to the exact same feedback I always leave on eBay
Other features I use #
- Bookmark search - search my Safari and Chrome bookmarks by typing
- Mini music player
- System commands like shut down, restart, empty trash, quit all apps
Fix for Snippets Not Working in VSCode #
Alfred Preferences > Snippets > Auto Expansion Options > Tweaking and setting Simulated key event speed to 4/5 (the level below fastest)
- Alfred Forum - Very useful for finding new workflows and getting help with Alfred.
- Dean Jackson's Alfred Workflows
- learn-anything/alfred-workflows: Amazing Alfred Workflows
- alfred-workflows/awesome-alfred-workflows: A curated list of awesome alfred workflows
- Alfred Universal Actions
- Alfred snippet expansion not working
- Raycast launcher
- Light & Dark theme according to system settings - Discussion & Help - Alfred App Community Forum