I use MacOS as my primary OS on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro.
There are a number of tweaks and settings I toggle on a fresh install which you can view in my dot files. These dotfiles also include scripts to install all of the apps and command line tools I use.
I have my dock hidden with no apps in it by default. I launch everything with Alfred
You can view a close-to-up-to-date list of apps I install in my brewfile on GitHub.
I use 1Password to manage my passwords, credit cards, and software licences.
Notes, Reminders, Mail and Safari are all my defaults for those tasks.
Menu Bar Apps #
Gitify puts your Github notifications in the menu bar. Way better than endless emails.
Batteries for Mac shows battery status of my MacBook, keyboard, mouse, and iPhone.
Fantastical is an excellent calendar app. It does have a full app but I never use that.
xbar (formally BitBar) "lets you put the output from any script/program in your macOS menu bar.". I have two plugins: microphone mute and now playing. View my xbar plugins on Github. SwiftBar is another version of BitBar although it wasn't compatible with my plugins.
CleanShot X for screenshots, screen recording, and annotation.
I show and hide certain menu bar apps and icons with Bartender.
Adding Custom Alert Sounds #
Put the audio files in
~/Library/Sounds and they show up in Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects.
List All URL Schemes #
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -dump URLSchemeBinding
Add App to Finder Toolbar #
command ⌘ and drag the app to to Finder toolbar to pin it there.
Developer Folder #
~./Developer has a special icon on MacOS
Zoom in Preview #
Remove background in Preview #
- Select 'Markup'
- Select 'Auto Alpha'
- Click and drag down to select the desired background
- Press delete on the keyboard
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 if necessary
Source: 10 Tips - Preview the Mac app people forget about
Built in speed test #
Keyboard Navigation in Modals #
System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Navigation
- Six Colors – Apple, technology, and other stuff by Jason Snell & Dan Moren
- Mac Power Users Podcast
- Chrome is Bad
- Setting up your home Mac for remote file access – Six Colors
- Honk Sound Effect
- dhanishgajjar/terminal-icons: Beautiful icons for your favourite terminal apps like Hyper and iTerm2
- Setapp | The best apps for Mac in one suite
- Welcome to Bunch - Bunch.app
- Cascadea - Remix the web.
- mortenjust/droptogif: Zero-click animated Gifs
- AirBuddy - Quick AirPods connect
- gao-sun/eul: 🖥️ macOS status monitoring app written in SwiftUI.
- GitPigeon — GitHub notifications for your Mac
- MonitorControl/MonitorControl: 🖥 Control your external monitor brightness & volume on your Mac
- lanayotech/vagrant-manager: Manage your vagrant machines in one place with Vagrant Manager for OS X
- Mutify for Mac
- samuelmeuli/glance: 🔎 All-in-one Quick Look plugin
- Freezeframe save apps and window positions
- Hypercritical: SwitchGlass
- Glimpse: A Free Cross-Platform Photo Editor
- QBlocker | Block CMD+Q Quitting Apps
- Elpass - Personal Digital Vault
- Sh1d0w/clean-links: What happens in your browser, stays in your browser.
- CleanShot X for Mac
- Minimalist: Password Manager for iPhone, iPad, Mac, iCloud
- Custom URL Redirects with Rebrandly and Keyboard Maestro — You're Doing That Wrong
- CleanShot X – Better Screenshots
- ianyh/Amethyst: Automatic tiling window manager for macOS à la xmonad.
- How to Set up Time Machine Server – 512 Pixels
- 1Piece - Multifunctional App for Mac
- Unite for macOS - Single Site Browser
- Sleeve — Now playing on your Desktop
- Maccy - macOS clipboard manager
- Jayson - Powerful JSON viewer and editor
- Tailscale · Best VPN Service for Secure Networks
- How to Screen Share on a Mac Remotely or Locally : HelloTech How
- Remove the proxy icon hover delay in Big Sur - BrettTerpstra.com
- TableFlip - Simple Table Editor for Mac
- Maestral - Dropbox client for macOS and Linux
- Bespoke Synth app
- HEIC Converter | Sindre Sorhus
- System Color Picker | Sindre Sorhus
- Sensei - The Next Generation Mac performance tool
- Mimestream | A native macOS email client for Gmail
- jwhamilton99/menu-bar-splitter: a mac utility for keeping your menu bar organized
- The secret of the macOS Monterey network quality tool | DanPetrov
- GrandPerspective - graphically shows the disk usage within a file system
- Downlink - real-time satellite imagery on your desktop
- Reflex - Reflex takes control of your media keys, and directs them to the app of your choosing
- JackWellborn/Find-and-Paste-URL-from-Browser: A script to quickly return a given url from Safari or Google Chrome.
- Pika color picker • Super High Fives
- Today — Sindre Sorhus
- Espanso - A Privacy-first, Cross-platform Text Expander
- Maccy - macOS clipboard manager
- Pulsar - A Community-led Hyper-Hackable Text Editor